Tuesday, February 22, 2005

i was at the nix game

i first got my hands on linux in the year 1995 or 1996. This was "Slackware linux".

and this was the first time the song with the words "no body has seen the troubles i have seen" kinda got stuck in my head.

hey by trouble i mean the good kind.

it took me 2 days to figure out that the floppy which i was using for the boot disk was defective, everything was working, it was booting up to a point and then if i remember right "panic"ed.

did i pull my hair out that day. then the challenge of making it work took over and i got it to meow!

post this enlightenment, i had it up and running, my own first web server! wow!

in those days to get hooked on to the internet on a dialup was, to be put it diplomatically,"HELL" and for what? terminal based internet? but this helped me hone my linux/unix skills.

the box which was running slackware? a 486-dx2 with 16 mb of ram. and this was a fast machine.

kernal compiling was a breeze, i used to leave it overnight. i remember one of my major compile took about 16 hours.

things have gotten kind of better since.

then there was the linux from pcquest magazine (dont remember what flavour this was based on)

somewhere along the line, redhat came into the picture, have been tinkering around with this for quite sometime now, about 10 years now...various versions.

about a year back,for some reason, i wanted to have linux run of the sun hardware. some research on the various sparc ports of linux, finally led me to Gentoo Linux .

wow. this is one mean port.

this concludes the small note, on the background behind this blog.

the intention is to build and flesh this blog and document the intresting titty bitty stuff i have come across during my last 10 years playing for the nix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home